Friday 18 April 2008

Nestability Flowers

Here's a little 'how to' on making the flowers that are on this card They are very quick to make. Takes less time to make one than to read the tutorial!

First a list of tools:
  • Scalloped circle Nestability die - one of the smaller ones. Or a scalloped circle punch with an even number of scallops
  • Soft, textured, handmade type paper
  • Scissors
  • Small ball embossing tool
  • Embossing mat or back of a spongy mouse mat or similar
  • Glue - my preference is white pva glue, but adhesive dots would work also
  • Flat backed pearl embellishment, or gem, or brad - whatever you like
  • Marker (forgot to include in the photo)

















Cut out the scalloped circle and then fold in half two ways. With the most textured side of the paper uppermost make a dot with the marker in the centre where the two folds cross.






















Cut between pairs of scallops towards the dot, stopping about 1/4" away.























Turn the shape over and place on embossing mat. Using a small ball embossing tool make small circular movements whilst exerting gentle pressure next to each scallop to make little indentations as shown. If you don't have an embossing tool, then anything with a small, smooth rounded end will do.























Then emboss in a line between the little indented circles and the base of the petal.























Turn the flower over to the right side again. And with the slightly larger ball end, make circular movements with gentle pressure at the base of the petals. Finish off by pressing down right in the centre.






















Apply a very small blob of pva glue on the dot, and add the pearl. Press down firmly on the pearl whilst still on the mat to indent the pearl into the flower. This will be fine if you have not used too much glue!




















Finished Flower.

38 comments:

Theresa Momber said...

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for the comment on my blog.

What a great tutorial this is! I love the idea. Looks like I really need to invest in nestabilites.

Regina said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! This is such a wonderful tutorial! I just loved making this. THANK YOU!!!

Monica Gale said...

OMG!! How creative are you? This is wonderful, and they look just like those Prima flowers, I am definitely going to sit one night and do a load of those in front of the telly, Clever girl!! M xx

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I would never have thought of this in a million years. I am going to have to give it a try now with my SU scallop punch, not lucky enough to have nesties yet :-(
Thank you for the great tutorial, Michelle x

Kelli said...

Wow!! I have been searching for a way to make these flowers myself, thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!!

joscelyne cutchens said...

very cool tutorial! Thanks!

Kay said...

Wow this is too cool! Kelli over at AllMomentsRemembered.com steered me your way and I am so glad she did! I just tried it with my SU punch and it totally worked! I'm so excited! I can't wait to get some nesties so I can make different sizes! This would be a great way to use up all my scraps! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

This is the first time I've ever left a comment on someone's blog - so that tells you how impressed I am!

Thank you so much for showing us how to do it.

I need to buy those Nesties...

PattiM said...

Oh so pretty!!! Your tutorial is so easy to understand...I found the link on ALL MOMENTS REMEMBERED under Kelli's post.... Like Monica, I will be sitting one night with the family watching TV and making these adorable little flowers...Thank you so much for sharing with us....

Patti (AMR)
(Pattie's passion)

I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!!!!

CraftyRia said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful tip! I am going to try it with my scalloped punch.

Kerrie's Crafting Corner said...

wow thank you for sharing your idea with us!

Blooming fantastic idea!

xx

LISA said...

brilliant, thanks for the tutorial.......how much are we going to save on flowers!!!!!:-)

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

These are so very cute. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! Great photos & explanation, too!!

Anonymous said...

awesome. will drag out my Wizard...NOW!!LOL

Anonymous said...

Even though its my bedtime just had to drag out my Cuttlebug and my nestabilities and some hand-made paper and ..... it worked a treat!! Thank you so much for this idea, its great!!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Marvellous! Your tutorials are incredible! Thanks again, :0) Mel

Deb Wood said...

These are fabulous, thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this... now I have to try it... YOur cards are sooo cute

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this great tip, I have just tried it and they are great!

Sarah x

Kathleen said...

What a great tutorial!
If only I had a scallop punch or die!
I'll add a link to this from my blog if that's OK.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

What a good tutorial and pretty results. I too now need either a punch or nesties, but don't I need a die cutter with these? Anyway well done.
Ann

Pauline C said...

Fantastic tutorial - i will definitely bookmark this!
Pauline x

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

Brilliant tutorial very well presented. Now all I need are the nestabilities! I'll bookmark this for the future.
Thanks,
Sharon

Elaine Stark said...

This is great, thanks for sharing. I'll certainly be making my own flowers now.

Tara said...

Amazing.... you are a genius!! xx

Bee10 said...

This is very clever and really lovely well done
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this very creative idea. Annx

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this, the flowers are gorgeous.
i have the nesties so cant wait to try it
Norma

Joy said...

What a brilliant idea, that is a gorgeous flower.

Bea said...

fabulous thank you ...Bea

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, I'm off to get my nesties out! Thanks!

liannallama said...

FANTASTIC! Thanks so much!
:>

Anne said...

OMG!! Sheer brilliance!!! Thank You so much for sharing that - I cannot wait to go and have a go now - these are just brilliant!!

Neusinha said...

Thank you for sharing this...I make this flower and Imake step-by-step in my blog...http://neusinhafusco.blogspot.com...Thanks very much

Bettina said...

Great tute. Love this style of flower.

Yogi said...

thanks for the instructions to this simple flower. Works well. BIG GRIN

SarahLP said...

Fantastic tutorial, Jo - I will definitely be trying this! What a great way to make your own lovely flowers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...